Pilarcitos Numero Duo - Candlestick

Pilarctios #2
10/22/06
Candlestick Point, SF
Elite Men
Place 34/45
Results

Coming into this race I was feeling a bit better about my fitness so my goal was to start a bit more aggressively. All went well until about lap 2 and then I just started losing place. So although I've got a bit more power these days, I don't have ability to maintain it for extend periods of time, nor am I recovering quickly enough from a hard effort.

Sounds to me like I've got to turn the training plan to doing under-over-under intervals...jeez, I get nauseas just thinking about it. Alas it is necessary. Anywho, back to the race....I manged to fend off some of my long running rivals, however, i still got lapped and I still didn't catch the faster rabbits i've been targeting through the 'cross season. My guess is that once I catch my rabbits, then I won't be getting lapped.

After losing places from my initial aggressive start and subsquent blow-up, I decide to treat the race like training. Every time I hit the pavement I sprinted as hard as I could. I manged to catch or drop people around me every time. Only problem is that i spent about half of the lap recovering. On the last lap, after Justin R caught me, I kept my pace up and held his wheel for like 2 seconds. Then decided to let him go as he'd already ridd'n fast enough to lap me ;-)

I road on and eventually hit the paved section with the left hander, in front of the parking lot, and just sprinted my ass off. On the staight away I caught some guy that was going pretty fast, but I still had it in my legs so I stomped on the pedals even harder and moved passed the guy. Well, turns out this was Mark Noble and realizing he had lapped me I eased up so he could pass me at the start\finish area. What the heck, next time I'm going for a sprint finish even if I am a lap down on the other guy. I mean sprint finishes are always spectacular. Plus how cool would a photo of me sprinting against a top podium contender look...yup, pretty sweet!


An for analysis, a plot comparing HRs from Pilarcitos#1 -Ave/Max 181/192 and
#2 - Ave/Max 178/187:

So although my heart rate ave\max were a bit lower for Candlestick, I felt that my fitness is improved. I'm a little surprised that my HR didn't spike on the straight away near the parking lot. Maybe the spike was so large my Polar watch couldn't measure it. It maybe time to buy a PowerTap!

C-ya at the next race!

Comments

Popular Posts