Ahaaa...nice long morning rides....


With a break in the weather I was super stoked to get out and do a long road ride before heading into the office. I'd never done the route I'd mapped out in my head, but it seemed very do-able, I just wasn't sure how long it was going to take. I was hoping for about a 3 hr ride. What I ended up with was a 2.5hr ride, not to bad considering I did about 3400ft of climbing and I got to bomb down Page Mill...that is until I came upon a stupid flat bed truck. As I was flying down the hill behind the truck, the driver of the truck sure knew how to maneuver that beast of a vehicle, I could actually feel myself in it's draft. Then I got to thinking, if comes upon another car and brakes, I'm going to have to lay down the bike and slide under the rear axel...yikes! That's the only thing I hate about road riding ;-)

So, my route went like this:
Start in Redwood City@ Whipple and the El Camino,
Hop on Edgewood Rd for a warm up, with only about 400ft of climbing it sure hurt in the early morning, rode Edgewood until it t's into Canada. Hang a left on Canada until I hit Robert's Market, Straight thru stop sign to Mnt Home rd to Sandhill.
Right on Sandhill and then up OLH, I'm at the top in 23 minutes, at a tempo pace. I'd be interested to see how fast I can time trial up it. I'll be back to try it!
Left up H35 to Page Mill rd, which is where the super fun descending begins. The weather, snow and rain, have taken it's toll on Page Mill rd, there are more potholes than I remember, watch out!

After rolling off Page Mill, I hung a left on Arastradero and came across Julie Adams (PABW and my Lapierre-Ritchey cross team mate). I continued on Arastradero and picked up the pace a bit, I passed to other roadies and was determined not to let them catch me. I think I saw a cup of coffee in their hand, but no matter, I'd be damned if I'd let them catch me only to find out that I haven't shaved my legs since cross season ;-) Anyhow, at this point my legs are worked from all the climbing, but I continue to push. Before you know it, I hit Alpine. I make a right and continue motoring down the road, it helps that there is a slight downhill grade here. Now I'm feeling invincible and then I go under H280 and the road turns up slightly, suprisingly my legs feel pretty good and I stand to maintain my cadence.

As I stop for a light at Sandhill (i'm not really a fan of stoping for traffic lights, usually look both ways and roll right thru) I rest and a huge grin spreads across my face, as I think about the beautiful and peaceful climbing I completed just moments ago. As the light turns green I practice a race start and try to clip into my one sided Look KEO pedals...dang it, I hate this one sided BS...the roadie have something to learn from the mtn bikers afterall ;-) Any who, I truck down Santa Cruz avenue, then veer left on Alameda de las pulgas. It's clear sailing down Alameda de las Pulgas and back to Edgewood Rd. As I mentioned before, I've never done this actual loop, but it was actually quite nice and I really enjoyed the Alameda de Las Pulgas section...nice house, rolling hills...kinda reminded me of lake Oswego, OR.

OK, back to work...here's the ride profile:

Comments

Ron Castia said…
How did Kearny Park go for you? Man, you guys had some ugly kind of weather.
maleonardphi said…
So how many miles was that ride?
velopicante said…
nome-

I had a blast in my first road race ever...too bad the weather sucked arse! I was so fricken frozen after the race that it took me about 20 minutes to thaw out in the car, covered with a blanket, and running the heat at full blast.

I ended up 10th place....I was just hoping not to crash. I played my cards right...I road in the pack for almost the entire race, although I did attack and move to the front a couple times, however I never pulled the pack around, as I was advised by others not to do. In knew that I had to be ahead of the pack going into the hard right turn in the final lap. I was easily able to pull out and away from the pack in the straight away leading to this final hard right, but when nobody came with me on the attack I kinda panicked. I kept looking back, waiting for somebody else to jump and nothing. So I kinda slowed down, slowed down and then as soon as the pack almost caught up to me, everybody stood up to hammer. I was like ooohh crap! I stood on the pedals and managed to stay ahead of the majority of the pack. I lost a lot of speed in the final turn, but managed to sprint with the top 10 guys to the finish. Whew!

I'm hooked and will be competing in as many road races as my mountain bike schedule allows. I've already signed up for Pescadaro and am hoping to do Cooperoplis, Madera, Wente, Berkeley Hills and a few local crits.

Matt- not sure how many miles the ride was. I still haven't put my frick'n speed sensor on my bike...dooh! I'll have to gped it to figure it out.

Popular Posts