1st road race ever!

Central Valley Classic
Fresno, CA
March 12, 2006
Field Size 50
CAT 5
Place 10\50
(http://www.centralvalleyclassic.com/results/2006_Kearney_Elite45.pdf)

Well, I've been procrasting about writing my first ever road race report for almost a month now. I figured I'd at least post some basic details. Briefly, the weather was crap, rain, wind and hail! However, no crashes, I played my cards right (meaning I listened to friends advice about resisting the urge ride at the front of the pack the entire time and pull the entire field around), I road in the pack and waited to attack in the final lap. I started the attack and nobody went, so I freaked out and totally backed off. At the last minute the pack starts hammering and I just managed to stay in front of them. Unfortunately, those riders who knew how to make a hard right hand turn, at speed, got around me. Then it was a sprint to the finish, on wet roads, thru chicanes lined with metal fencing. I think if I would've stuck the attack, I could've won the race (coulda, woulda, shudda), but honestly I was just glad not to have crashed and to jump in my car to get warm.

Totally hooked on road racing!

Here what my racing calendar looks like for April:
1. SOC MTB 4/9
2. Copperopolis or Velo Girls Crit 4/15
3. Wente RR 4/22 and NVDC 4/23
4. Madera Stage race 4/29-4/30

I was also hoping to do the Berkeley Hills road race in May, but it turns out that they don't have a Cat 5. Bummer! I contacted the promoter and he said that the size of the fields was very limited and that they've had trouble with beginners not being able to finish the course...blah, blah! Actually he was very nice. Beginner? I guess racing CAT 5 really does encompass true beginners to the sport of cycling. However, being an Expert mountain biker and Cat A 'cross racer means that I don't really think of myself as a beginner anymore. So I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around the fact that I can't race Berkeley Hills!

However, I do understand that the road category upgrades are much more strict...which is a good thing. Unlike NORBA where sandbagging is rampant. Plus just because I know how to race a mountain bike and a 'cross bike doesn't mean I know how to ride in a pack on the road. OK, I'll eat my piece of humble pie and make my way up thru the ranks....10 mass starts here I come. One down and 9 to go! Maybe I'll have to do more crits to help get me to the Cat 4s faster ;-)


Comments

Popular Posts