Boggs3 - grassrootz racing at itz best!



The beer in hand and crazy look pretty much sums up the weekend. I had a frick'n blast! Thank you Carlos and Bikemonkey for putting on a great race: good vibe, live music, great food\beer feed, great course, frick'n awesome timing system complete with live results via - 20 inch flat screen at start-finish area.

I've pretty much been a roadie all season, but this weekend I was committed to riding on the dirt with my old mountain bike team, TeamWrongWay. Yup, I said "old" team. This weekend was kinduv a big deal for me on the personal front because it would be my last race flying the TWW colors. I joined TWW in my first year of becoming a "real" mountain biker, 2002 I believe, and the rest as they say is history....

Aha, those were the days of Keith whooping my a$$ on his goddamn rigid singlspeed! Post ride beer and burritos at Andale were awesome. Those were also the days of some epic climbing battles between Loren and I! Man, we had quite a southbay riding crew back then: Keith, Loren, Jerry Brown(remember that guy), McCrimmon, Allan, Schlachter, Todd, I even remember Mark Davidson coming over the hill to join us on occasion.

The following year was unforgettable. This was the year that we became racers! Dave Ambrose, Jenny, Paul, Rich, Brenton, Alan, Jason Tandeta and myself took NorCal racing by storm. I can't remember how many races we did that year, but if there was a race we were there. I even remember a time up at Weaverville (Lagrange classic)when Vic, Bigfoot racing head honcho, said "we can start the race until all the TWW folks are all here!"

Or how about the 8.5hr frick'n epic in Tahoe in the summer of 2003! Then 2004 brought the year we all got into the endurance thing and there was 9 of us lined up to start the Cascade Cream Puff! That was so much painful fun!

The Skeggs rides that Nick lead for years and years still live on to this day! I've met so many cool people by being part of TWW. It was up at Skeggs that I meet: Lauren Constantini, John Hillstrom, John Street, Kyle Brooks, Matt Leonard, Ty Brookhart and numerous other folks whom I'm still friends with!

TWW helped to transform me from a "commute on my mountain bike 2 work" rider to a full blown expert racer. I went from thinking of riding a singlespeed as an impossibility to racing on a singlespeed! So while I won't be flying the TWW colors at the races anymore, I'll always be part of the TWW vibe! Yea, yea, I know that's pretty frick'n cliche and all, but thatz how I roll bitches.

It was great to see everybody out this weekend! Paul, Jenny, Ethan(and twins), Keith&son, Kathleen& her high school racers, Bob, Schlachter factor, Mike, Johnnie H, Dave McCrimmon, Pete, Kirt, Erik, Kyle, Jenni and Dawn.

So how about "I coulda been a contenda's" decisive victory over the 2nd place team? Don't say I never gave ya anything ;-)

Peace out yo!

Some cool stuff from my Garmin Forerunner 305....



Comments

you're too young to be so freaking sentimental.

why are you leaving TWW?
maleonardphi said…
Can I have all of your TWW garb ;-)
velopicante said…
Nick - i'm off to Vancouver this Thursday. Bummed to miss NVDC! ;-(

Lorri -
I've realized at the ripe old age of 33 that I just don't have the time nor the energy to give back to so many teams. So rather than being a jack of all trades, I'm going to try and focus my efforts a bit more. So I race road with the Mouse, live in the City, where the Mouse is based. So it just makes sense. Now I just gotta figure out the 'cross thing ;-)

Matt- yes, you can have my TWW stuff. Are you still small enough to fit into mediums ;-)
Mark Davidson said…
Nice race report and retrospective. The more I hear about Boggs and the people who went the sorrier I am for not going.

You are definitely one of the elite few who have actually left TWW. How can you give up the schwag train?

Popular Posts