CCCX#5 - Fort Ord - overcoming your fears

CCCX#5
12/02/07
Fort Ord
Elite Men - 16/22


I got back to training a bit more regulary. Unfortunately I don't know how regular since my Polar S720i pooped out on me. I usually ride, turn on the watch and download the data to my computer. It's purty cool 'cause the Polar software shows a cummulative bar plot of the time spent on the bike each week.

In anycase I feel better. There was a huge sand section, probably about 100ft long. Sand scares the crap out of me. I had the tuffest time in the GGP sand section. Not sure why, I used to be good at it. In anycase, I would be damned if I was going to fear this section each and every lap!

I kitted up and practiced it like 20 times. I ride up the paved section, down the sand and back up. Surpisingly it really made a difference. I tried different lines just to see what the bike would do and also tried pushing big gears with power vs easy gears with high cadence. High cadence is the winner for sure. People caught onto my little training session cause they started heckling me ;-) Good times.

I had a good race. I battled it out with Tim Cannard(singlespeeder) and managed to keep him in back of me. I also caught my buddy Nick(Ritchey), who is recovering from a knee injury, and kept him in back of me. I really busted my ass on the road sections to open up a gap, because I knew I sucked in the singletrack and they would catch me. While they did make up time on me in the dirt track, I was pushing my cornering abilties to the limit. Which made me happy cause I really suck at cornerning. All of this was not without mishaps ;-) I went into the bushes a couple times!

Due to such crazy efforts on the pave and dirt I also held off my teammate Grant and long time rival Jay. And poor Jeff Patton, he's always ahead of me and for some reason I always catch him at the end. This time he had a good excuse, he exploded his rear wheel like a firecracker. Good job man, you've proven to be a very much improved and worthy adversary this year! Bring it on!

Good times. My team mates JohnnyK and Matt T pulled of 6th place and 3rd place finishes.

Good times!

Comments

Popular Posts