roadie-phoria

Man oh man, working, training and racing the road doesn't leave time for a whole lot else. So here's the 5 minute update.

I'm racing with Roaring Mouse Cycles on the road. They are a great bunch of guys and gals. We've got a strong CAT 4 squad and should be pretty dominant as we get used to working with one another.

Did one Early Bird crit and mentoring session to round out my 10 mass start requirement to move from a CAT 5 to a 4.

I've got a few road races under my belt:
  • Snelling RR,
  • Merced Crit,
  • Merco (formerly McClane) RR,
  • Merco Crit,
  • Velo Girls Crit in Menlo Park
What I've learned over the last couple months is that I suck at crits. Mostly 'cause I get super nervous and tense riding in the pack. However, I've been doing the PA morning ride and nooner to get those pack skills honed...plus those rides are a helluva good workout.

CAT 4 crits are fast. In the 5s I spent my time pulling the field around, attaching out of now where, string out the pack 'casuse I could. In the 4s I can't do that and have legs to stay with the pack. At the Merced Crit, we let a few guys from 3rd pillar get away and they strung out the crit so fast then we never got back onto the main pack. Won't make that mistake again.

That same weekend, in the road race, a couple 3rd pillar guys and some other straglers, made a break that didn't get chased down because we weren't close enough to the front or paying enough attention. Won't make that mistake again either.

In my first Cat 4 race, after realizing something was awry since nobody was attacking, I leaned over and asked my team mate, Dave, how far we had to go. Turns out he said 10miles, I heard 2 and decided that I wasn't a sprinter so I was going to see if I could breakaway from the pack and stay away. Turns out I could and did.

Crit and Road racing....gotta pay more attention at critical points in the race. I've gotten boxed in near the end of races and got screwed out of top 10 finishes! I've also learned from speaking with other more experienced racers that if you want to be near the front of the pack you will have to fight for position and this does include some work at the very front.

This weekend I'm doing the Santa Rosa Corp. Crit. I'm stoked to try out some new crit. tactics and I'm doing two races: cat 4 and a cat3/4. Will be interesting to race in a mixed field. I'll be resting my legs from here to saturday.

Did my first mtb ride in over a month and had a total blast riding the killer trails of Santa Cruz with my hommies from TWW, VB and A40.

That's all for now!

Oh yea, here's some pics. See if you can find me in yellow.

Larry Rosa

Comments

ginmtb said…
Man something is just fundamentally wrong here looking for you in a yellow jersey. Oh well, at least you don't tarnish the TWW name by racing on the road in our jersey.

Popular Posts