'Cross Season 2006



Well, after returning from Italia I new I would be in for a world of hurt as I jumped into the 'cross season. While I did some good base rides thru the hills of Tuscany (Cortona, Montepucliano, and Moltecino), I had done zero intensity. However, I took comfort in the fact that I had not missed all of the early season underground races.

My plan was totally and complete annihilation thru racing (i.e. racing myself into fitness). So, my race plan: CCCX#1 Sun (9/24), then DFL Weds (9/27), DFL FinalsSat (9/30) and CCCX#2 (10/01). Needless to say by DFL finals on saturday my legs were cooked. I actually dropped out with a lap to go because my heart rate was high and I had no power left. I figured I'd leave what little I had in the tank for Sunday's CCCX race.
DFL race (weds)

Anyhow, the one thing I noticed so far, other than the fact that I am way slower than last year, is that the pre-season running has helped quite a bit. The CCCX#1 in Prunedale had a longish run up and I was able to attack it without much pain...well until the last two laps. The second to the last DFL race had a pretty burly run up where you could either run up a bunch of steps or hit a dirt trail. I opted for the dirt trail everytime as I thought that was more realistic of a cross course.
CCCX #2 Fort Ord

At the CCCX#2 race I felt like I was on my way towards recoverying from the previous week of racing, but I still lacked top end power. That it is when the road opened up, I had no real power in my legs to launch a full sprint. I'll have to taylor my training to include more short intensity.

Anyhow, I'm super stoked to be back in the 'cross season. I welcome the many familiar faces and look forward to improving my fitness as the season progresses.

See you out on the dirt!

Comments

Brent said…
burp.
Drop out...
velopicante said…
is that what happend to you? I saw you out there and heard your name and then you were gone. are you singlespeeding this year?

Popular Posts